Skip to main content

My Own KP

Krishna Prasad

Rarely we come across people, especially your own peer, who also turns out to be your mentor cum inspiration. 

Krishna Prasad was one.

But for him, I would have ended up being one of those shit heads whose world started and ended with academics. Those high scoring bright students, darling of the school teachers, who after qualifying best of the professional examinations, end up being part of the crowd of morons, with no real identity. Those super achievers, who always had the brightest of their life at school thereafter getting eclipsed by the more ecletic blokes (hitherto regarded as duds).

Krishna was the key to the locked doors of my mind. He was the one who helped me think beyond study books. When the whole of class used to discuss either exams or movies or sports (cricket), Krishna used to discuss world of other topics. We used to discuss history and poetry, plus the usual guy talk. There were religion, life style, automotives, women, word plays, food, movies, books, ideologies, world wars, anthropology and what not. The idea of General Knowledge, I probably relearnt from him (my first heroes were the first teachers, in this regard)

Fiercely independent in his thought, he used to question most of the rituals of our social system. His words gave shape to my thoughts.

And he had style. His English was the best in the class, and even at the most advanced level (which is now), mine is a good distance behind his quality, style and refinement. Chap had a fantastic way with words.

He was also the master of one liners, wise cracks and intelligent pranks. Usually silent, all he does is a simple nod for any jibes on him. When he speaks out, acid spurts out, but it will be laced with truck loads of humour that the entire class would erupt in laughter. He will wait for the appropriate moment to strike, and boy, he strikes very hard. Having experienced once, I can say that with confidence. Though might sound sarcastic or sadistic, some people (including yours truly) understood the language of dogs only.

It was in our Class XI. Krishna was the only person in our class who used bring Bread Sandwich to the school. His rectangular tiffin box had space only for three or four sets of sandwiches. We used to be a group of five - me, Prasad (KP), Pradeep, Patrick and Jose. We used to jump into his tiffin box whenever he brought sandwiches. For all his independence and friendliness, KP certainly didn't appreciate our excitement. He had warned us enough, especially me, for I used to say "Fantastic da" for his sandwiches.

One fine day, he had brought sandwiches. As usual I jumped into it. KP was unusually silent. The sandwich tasted different. It was not spicy, but still felt spicy. The paste felt like a pack of broken chips. It was "kur kur" to munch.
"Its different da"
"Mujhe patha hai"
"Whats it da?" I was asking him through filled up mouth.
"Finish it, Sai Bhai."
I finished it in a whiff, and asked again, "Are yaar, ab to bol."
"That was chicken sandwich". Saying that he started casually eating the remaining sandwiches. Other guys burst into laughter.
"It was good" was all I could mutter. I am a vegetarian (Atleast supposed to be). 
"Want one more?" The laughter grew louder. Never thereafter I laid my hands without his permission.

That's KP. Playing around him will be only on his terms. He was sharp. He had a fantastic sense of humour. He had a terrific style. Without him I would probably still be thinking that what I wrote was English, which would have put even Lalu to shame. He was my dictionary. He was my tutor of English (whatever bad it is now, don't blame it on him. Without him it would be much worse). He was the real inspiration. 

From using abusive words in Tamil for over five years, I graduated to foulmouthing in English, thanks to KP. "Cha" was replaced by "Oh Shit" and slowly to "Oh F@#%". (Abusive words are invariably the first step towards learning a new language). After five years of ruining my English by awarding me 95 Marks in English Paper (when I attempted only for 90), thankfully atleast for two years of High School, Manoharan (sucker of a teacher) was not around. And for the first time, my English was tuned for good by KP (and of course Radhika Madame).

Though a classmate only for two years (high school days), he has had a tremendous impact on me.

Thanks KP, for everything. This is for you.

Comments

Ketan said…
I don't know if your KP read this.

I don't know for you write this to read.

So, just wanted to tell, I read it. And to think of it, my initials are also "KP"! It's good to occasionally indulge in some vanity, isn't it?

I really like the fact that you like people for reasons.

TC.
Ketan said…
You didn't get angry at KP for letting you eat chicken? Any average vegetarian would've just broken the friendship. Amazing to see you retain your composure even then. Since, you've got used to yourself, you might not realize how 'others' would've reacted in such a situation.

BTW, I too am a vegetarian, but have tried a few different type of animals on few occasions... on my own volition. Have not experimented in last two years, and might not till there'd be real need.

TC.
G Saimukundhan said…
Did I really have a right to get angry at him? I guess not. I was asking for it, would be the ideal observation. I think, I adored him a lot to be bothered by this prank of his.

As to "others", I am aware and have come across people who puke at the sight of non veggies. To me, it does not make any difference. It is their reaction. All I know is, I wont eat it, knowingly.
Ketan said…
Well, the 'others' was more in reference of people getting angry, and leaving all logic aside. That's what I meant by your composure--that you could 'think'! My response wouldn't have been very different from yours :)

Popular posts from this blog

Open Letter to the President, ICAI

Dear President, The substance of this letter is the state of examination and evaluation system of our Institute's qualifying exams. The recently declared result is just the tipping point, and not the substance of this letter. Let this communique not be misconstrued as demanding a revamp merely because the results have been pathetically low. This open letter would have probably been drafted still, even if the results threw out an extremely student friendly outcome of say 100% Pass. Before I move on to present my points, I would like to state that I have been a firm believer of assertion that you get only what you deserve. A person who got "100 Marks" deserved that "100 Marks". And a student who got "0 Marks", deserved that as well. As someone who got both the above extremes during my academic days, I have maintained the above assertion with a certain degree of understanding and conviction. I also would like to make it clear right at the ou

Covid and The End of Kerala Model?

That Kerala has been often quoted as a "Model State" is a fact. Based on many metrics, many economists and social welfare analysts have often singled out Kerala for its high per capita, the higher literacy rate, their land reforms, higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality etc. In essence, its better social infrastructure has been its key selling point as a "Model State". Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to the "Kerala Model". There is also a segment which reproduces an opinion which says that it is the world's most sustainable model. I am not here to contest any of that. This post tries to look at the Post Covid world and how the so called "Kerala Model" may account for nothing in the absence of a strong local / domestic economy. When you think of Kerala, you think of the famous tagline "God's Own Country", which it is truly. Filled with natural landscapes which are beautiful and magical, a trip to Kerala wil

The Terminal Date

Chapter 1 - The Meet - Now " Thambi , don't you have change? Don't you even think it is unfair to give 2000 rupee note for a bottle of water?" "Sorry Anna . Have only Rs.15 otherwise." Elan was wondering what other options he has. Return the bottle? Go to the next shop? Go to the ATM at the CMBT's concourse to withdraw some cash? 'Have to rule it out. ATM will rule it out.' "Anna, Can I use Paytm to make the payment?" "For Rs.20?" "I will pay Rs.100. You can give me some change also." "I don't trust these things. And even I don't have any change to return. Either you pay Rs.20 or leave. Its 12 in the night and I have no mood to argue." Elan kept the bottle on top of the boxes with butter biscuits and was about to leave, when he heard "I can give you change." It sounded familiar. He turned to his right to find a familiar face. The girl who lived opposite to his house at Nerku