Skip to main content

What I Learnt When Teaching

J Ashok

"Sir, I didn't understand that. Like ... why do we consider opportunity cost here, eh, mm.., but not in the previous question?"

It was my first batch of class. I was handling a question in Financial Management. The concept was about Equivalent Annual Benefit. I had explained the first model on the topic. Everything went on smoothly. Atleast so I thought. I explained the second model, a question on optimal replacement time taking a different approach, not so convincingly. I realised that a bit late, only after that question, for which I had no answer.

The question was from Ashok. In a class of around 20 odd students, when each of their eyes communicated a certain degree of doubt over what I was explaining, he was the one who raised this all important question. "Why?"

'In case of mistakes, with others - we seek judgement, with self - we seek compromise' was an SMS I received from one of my friends a few months back. Reading that I can only remember the ugly manner in which I conducted myself in response to that question, seeking some kind of compromise from that lot.

The ugly part of that entire scenario was me. That question was a subtle reminder that I never understood the concept of Equivalent Annual Benefit properly. Shamelessly, I went about defending my idea, which even I was not convinced. Shamelessly, I tried to cover up my ignorance, ineffectiveness and inefficiency. Even more shameless was the fact that I knew that I was wrong, and still went about defending myself, thanks to those three letters E-G-O. In doing so, my actions were contradicting what I thought I believed in - 1. Understanding being the first and foremost of priorities while learning; 2. Acknowledging the weakness / deficiency and go about correcting, rather than put up a defensive approach trying to cover your weakness.

That was the worst day of my life. I had goofed up big time. In my very first set of class.

I felt like a sucker who screwed himself. I could not sleep the entire night. I cursed all those text books which did not help me in the entire process. I broke my knuckles ramming the wall of my room. I bruised my palm by constantly hitting my forehead. But my ego had bruised even more. I cursed myself for being such a dud, as to why I never thought of that question, why did I ever simply try to replicate the answer given in standard books without even questioning or appreciating the basics.

Though I corrected myself and explained the entire idea much more purposively and properly in the next class, the entire event was a lesson to me, some new and some a reminder.

The human mind and its ego is such that it will seldom accept being projected as a weakling. Like I defended my limitations by uttering gibberish. It requires some spine to accept and acknowledge your weakness in front of a few people. It requires spine to even speak up. No difference with students as well.

As a student, whenever I was not convinced or not understood an idea which my teacher was explaining, I never raised my hand. For that would mean projecting myself as a dud in a class, where I thought (presumed) everybody else is super smart (that was till my CA Results were out). You fear being banished and looked down upon by your peers.

Acceptance of your limitation is not a sign of weakness, but reflects the strength of your character. A philosophy which I thought I was following, untill I saw Ashok exhibiting that trait while I was defending its contrary.

It requires a great degree of spine to speak out and speak up. Ashok had that in abundance, as was evident when the entire class remained silent. As was evident in whatever conversation I had with him. He was candid and forthright, without trying to appease me or diplomatic.

Among the cheap spineless cowards and the disfigured Harvey Dents of the real world, who speak one here, another there, and constantly contradict themselves, Ashok was different. Though highly sensitive who cannot hide his emotions so very convincingly, his sensibilities remained intact through the time I knew of him. Though the guilt of having failed him twice lingers hard even now, I remember him more for that class than anything else. In a class where I am supposed to teach a few concepts to my students, I learnt a lesson or two on life from one of them.

Thanks kid.

Have a fresh start. For a new day is very closer, in more ways than one. This is for you.

Comments

Ketan said…
Hi!

I can't really think of an opening line, so--I respect you--is all I am managing to say the first thing.

But, I'd add one more thing, which please don't take as my advocating mediocrity or hypocrisy. It's important to be able to forgive oneself. Just like how you've explained it's important to acknowledge one's ignorance of certain concepts, analogously, but at an entirely different matter, it's important to accept the possibility of our goofing up in moral/ethical matters. Forgiving does not entail repetition of the same mistakes. Rather think of the greatest source of hypocrisy--people not loving their real selves.

I'd have ordinarily not talked of such things to a total stranger, but to you I feel a certain kind of obligation to confess--I too have not raised doubts in classroom even when I genuinely wouldn't understand the concept--the reason being the mediocrity of one teaching, so much so that I'd be sure that they couldn't answer my doubt. Thankfully, your students were lucky enough to not have to entertain such suspicions with regard to you.

Last, I hope you actualy did not cruise your knuckles and damaged your wall! Seriously, you may (well of course, that's what I feel), hate an act of yours, but need not hate yourself for it.

Commenting on the quality of writing on such an introspective issue is redundant, but it was, excellent, nevertheless.

TC.

PS: Wish, had many more teachers like you :)
Sir,

You are a paradigm, an exemplar,and a mentor to many... enough said...

Popular posts from this blog

Open Letter to the President, ICAI

Dear President, The substance of this letter is the state of examination and evaluation system of our Institute's qualifying exams. The recently declared result is just the tipping point, and not the substance of this letter. Let this communique not be misconstrued as demanding a revamp merely because the results have been pathetically low. This open letter would have probably been drafted still, even if the results threw out an extremely student friendly outcome of say 100% Pass. Before I move on to present my points, I would like to state that I have been a firm believer of assertion that you get only what you deserve. A person who got "100 Marks" deserved that "100 Marks". And a student who got "0 Marks", deserved that as well. As someone who got both the above extremes during my academic days, I have maintained the above assertion with a certain degree of understanding and conviction. I also would like to make it clear right at the ou

Covid and The End of Kerala Model?

That Kerala has been often quoted as a "Model State" is a fact. Based on many metrics, many economists and social welfare analysts have often singled out Kerala for its high per capita, the higher literacy rate, their land reforms, higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality etc. In essence, its better social infrastructure has been its key selling point as a "Model State". Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to the "Kerala Model". There is also a segment which reproduces an opinion which says that it is the world's most sustainable model. I am not here to contest any of that. This post tries to look at the Post Covid world and how the so called "Kerala Model" may account for nothing in the absence of a strong local / domestic economy. When you think of Kerala, you think of the famous tagline "God's Own Country", which it is truly. Filled with natural landscapes which are beautiful and magical, a trip to Kerala wil

The Terminal Date

Chapter 1 - The Meet - Now " Thambi , don't you have change? Don't you even think it is unfair to give 2000 rupee note for a bottle of water?" "Sorry Anna . Have only Rs.15 otherwise." Elan was wondering what other options he has. Return the bottle? Go to the next shop? Go to the ATM at the CMBT's concourse to withdraw some cash? 'Have to rule it out. ATM will rule it out.' "Anna, Can I use Paytm to make the payment?" "For Rs.20?" "I will pay Rs.100. You can give me some change also." "I don't trust these things. And even I don't have any change to return. Either you pay Rs.20 or leave. Its 12 in the night and I have no mood to argue." Elan kept the bottle on top of the boxes with butter biscuits and was about to leave, when he heard "I can give you change." It sounded familiar. He turned to his right to find a familiar face. The girl who lived opposite to his house at Nerku