Skip to main content

HISTORY OF CRUSHES - Part 1

She was the first girl, I had chased. She was also the first girl who had chased me. She was my first soul mate for she was the only one in the entire class who used to play with me. There were no inhibitions between us. We played as long as time would permit. We played as long as people would permit. Though I was barely five, I knew that I will marry only her, when I have moustache some time later, for I was madly in love with her. After all, what is life without play? Who better to play with other than her. My definition of love was just that. Play.

Only later did I notice all those uncles and aunts of my street, my area and those among my relatives, and my own pop and mom, that they were not playing with each other. Often they would engage in the verbal version of world wrestling entertainment. They came together, went together, but never played together. If they don't play together, why were they together?

Only then did I realize that simply because you love playing with a particular person does not mean that it is love. It cannot be love. It had to be something else. But there had to be some criterion for falling in love. On a second (or probably googolth) observation of the grown ups around me, I noticed that the husband was always taller than the wife.

Each of the grown up lads I saw at the bus stop, for whom I served as courier boy for you-know-what, on a consideration for Big Fun, had the following in common - fashionable baggies, printed loose shirts, white shoes and most importantly, they were taller than the lass they were after.

I knew the definition of love. Love is all about height. I looked around in my class. There were only two girls shorter than me. Therefore, if at all I had to choose one, it had to be one among them. I used to stand by their side trying to figure out how does our shadows look together. In those shadows I found my second love. I found the true reason for love. Height.

Everything seemed so well. Untill two years later I was relagated to being the shortest of my class. Even those two had grown taller than me. Only then it dawned on me that there is every possibility that there are some men who are shorter than the shortest of women. What will happen to them? Will they remain single? Or more specifically, what will happen to me? I had not yet seen any grown up being single. I had also not yet come across any couple of that type. I was scared of not knowing what will happen. My mind was heating up without a solution, as I could not discuss this issue with any body.

The restlessness grew over the next couple of months, till we were on a trip to New Delhi. In our train, we met a couple, who boarded our compartment at Itarsi, who answered my doubt perfectly. The husband was a dwarf, that is when compared with his wife, who was almost six footer.

And atlast my doubts were cleared, but a new one found its place. Accepted, height is not the criterion, but what is that consideration? What drives you into love? It was like trying to find a reason to fall in love. And I found the reason, or probably the girl, and therefore inferred the reason.

(To Be Continued)

Comments

Ketan said…
Saimukundhan,

Before I even read this, let me express my utter shock/suprise/bewilderment at your doing an entire series of posts in response to my single query.

Though, how I wish you would have written everything in one go, in one single post, unlike this Ekta Kapoor-'to be continued'-style! Anyway, back to reading your post. ;) Cheers!
Ketan said…
Interesting! I'm smiling right now, and very, very curious.

I couldn't get what was 'you-know-what'! Condoms, cigarettes?

Anyway, hoping you continue real soon, and do not have to share the pedestal with Ekta Kapoor, as I view her! :P

TC.
Tamizh said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamizh said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stupidosaur said…
First definition seems pretty close. Second definition is the heights really!!!

you-know-whats must be the 'love notes' I guess?
G Saimukundhan said…
Ketan,

Hoping to continue as early as possible. Some disinterest in blogging. Originally planned it as a 4 Part exercise. Must publish them all by Feb end, in any case.

Cheers
G Saimukundhan said…
Hi Stupidosaur

"You-know-what-it-is" was notes also. It is all those symbolic gestures, things and gifts, which guys used to give to express their love (or lust?).

Ketan!

Cigarettes!!!!! Condoms!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if guys have the audacity to really send across those things to the girls they are after. Btw, have I surpassed Ekta?

Cheers
Tamizh said…
Hey Hello!!

What happened to the next part of this post?

Regards

Popular posts from this blog

Open Letter to the President, ICAI

Dear President, The substance of this letter is the state of examination and evaluation system of our Institute's qualifying exams. The recently declared result is just the tipping point, and not the substance of this letter. Let this communique not be misconstrued as demanding a revamp merely because the results have been pathetically low. This open letter would have probably been drafted still, even if the results threw out an extremely student friendly outcome of say 100% Pass. Before I move on to present my points, I would like to state that I have been a firm believer of assertion that you get only what you deserve. A person who got "100 Marks" deserved that "100 Marks". And a student who got "0 Marks", deserved that as well. As someone who got both the above extremes during my academic days, I have maintained the above assertion with a certain degree of understanding and conviction. I also would like to make it clear right at the ou

Covid and The End of Kerala Model?

That Kerala has been often quoted as a "Model State" is a fact. Based on many metrics, many economists and social welfare analysts have often singled out Kerala for its high per capita, the higher literacy rate, their land reforms, higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality etc. In essence, its better social infrastructure has been its key selling point as a "Model State". Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to the "Kerala Model". There is also a segment which reproduces an opinion which says that it is the world's most sustainable model. I am not here to contest any of that. This post tries to look at the Post Covid world and how the so called "Kerala Model" may account for nothing in the absence of a strong local / domestic economy. When you think of Kerala, you think of the famous tagline "God's Own Country", which it is truly. Filled with natural landscapes which are beautiful and magical, a trip to Kerala wil

The Terminal Date

Chapter 1 - The Meet - Now " Thambi , don't you have change? Don't you even think it is unfair to give 2000 rupee note for a bottle of water?" "Sorry Anna . Have only Rs.15 otherwise." Elan was wondering what other options he has. Return the bottle? Go to the next shop? Go to the ATM at the CMBT's concourse to withdraw some cash? 'Have to rule it out. ATM will rule it out.' "Anna, Can I use Paytm to make the payment?" "For Rs.20?" "I will pay Rs.100. You can give me some change also." "I don't trust these things. And even I don't have any change to return. Either you pay Rs.20 or leave. Its 12 in the night and I have no mood to argue." Elan kept the bottle on top of the boxes with butter biscuits and was about to leave, when he heard "I can give you change." It sounded familiar. He turned to his right to find a familiar face. The girl who lived opposite to his house at Nerku