Skip to main content

Why I Won't Vote in Elections 2014

I will not vote in this Lok Sabha Elections 2014.

Voting is my right. And I don't want to exercise it. Yet again. I will not vote even if Kamal Hassan, a man who I greatly admire, requests people to vote. He has his reasons. I have mine.

For those who believe, voting is a "Duty" or "Responsibility", and are out with their daggers directed at me or tongues waiting to mouth the virtues of voting - please buzz off. I understand my constitutional right on voting. Voting isn't a great virtue to flaunt. Being honest and not paying bribe would be better.

Why wouldn't I vote? 
My vote wouldn't make a difference. Not in the sense that my one vote wouldn't affect the results. I know it can. In the sense that given the choice between rock and a hard place, I would gladly get on with my work. I won't vote for the simple reason the person elected, his actions, inactions, decisions, policies will not affect me. 

Secondly, the possible PM Candidates, neither inspire me, nor do I regard them with any great respect. Rahul Gandhi is dumb. Narendra Modi is all hollow rhetoric. I would rather trust the Iron Lady from South rather than any of these people. And I know that she cannot become the PM of this country. Even if she can, she cannot be the decision maker that she is as the head of TN.

Why will it not affect me? 
I am not a woman, who can look forward to 33% reservation.
I am not a kid or youth, who looks forward to some kind of employment generation opportunities or educational support.
I don't belong to any minority community, that these holier than thou politicians in the guise of appeasing me, try to invoke some kind of guilt / obligation to vote for them.
I don't belong to a caste regarded as Backward or Scheduled to be affected by their reservation policies.
I don't belong to the economically backward class to look forward to opportunities under scam filed schemes such MNREGA.
I don't believe in God to be really be enthused about any temples or mosques being constructed. Would be happy if someone fairly knocks these structures constructed on encroached lands down.
I am not a big shot industrialist or business man whose business could be affected by the policy decisions of the lawmakers or who has been lobbying hard to get some favours from the Government.
I am not really old or a Senior Citizen to worry about any resource draining pension plans.
I am not a farmer, who can look forward to some loan waivers or subsidized fertilizers or stuff like that.
I am not an exporter or importer who worries about all the exchange rate fluctuations and the resultant impact on the bottomline.

In short. I am not somebody who would appeal to them or their policies. I am not someone whose life really interests them. Their sleep inducing, hollow rhetoric of a manifesto, which is more a lesson on adjectives and phrasing, does not consider me or people like me at any level of importance. In their mind space and scheme of things, I am a "NOBODY". 

And I won't vote for any of these buffoons. Yes, inflation does affect me. But I am pretty sure that none of the jokers have any clue as to how to contain that. And there could be more such things. And I will live with that. 

I do admit that the present UPA Government has been the most inefficient, corrupt and arrogant Government that I have come across from my teens. I do not want them to come back to power. That doesn't mean that I should naturally support jokers from AAP or the so called nationalists from BJP. My own take on the "National Identity" is available elsewhere on this blog (Click Here). I don't believe, either of them would make any damn change to my life. 

I vote where my vote counts. I vote where the elected's actions and inactions could affect the significant part of my life. I don't where it doesn't. Its as simple as that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Letter to the President, ICAI

Dear President, The substance of this letter is the state of examination and evaluation system of our Institute's qualifying exams. The recently declared result is just the tipping point, and not the substance of this letter. Let this communique not be misconstrued as demanding a revamp merely because the results have been pathetically low. This open letter would have probably been drafted still, even if the results threw out an extremely student friendly outcome of say 100% Pass. Before I move on to present my points, I would like to state that I have been a firm believer of assertion that you get only what you deserve. A person who got "100 Marks" deserved that "100 Marks". And a student who got "0 Marks", deserved that as well. As someone who got both the above extremes during my academic days, I have maintained the above assertion with a certain degree of understanding and conviction. I also would like to make it clear right at the ou

Covid and The End of Kerala Model?

That Kerala has been often quoted as a "Model State" is a fact. Based on many metrics, many economists and social welfare analysts have often singled out Kerala for its high per capita, the higher literacy rate, their land reforms, higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality etc. In essence, its better social infrastructure has been its key selling point as a "Model State". Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to the "Kerala Model". There is also a segment which reproduces an opinion which says that it is the world's most sustainable model. I am not here to contest any of that. This post tries to look at the Post Covid world and how the so called "Kerala Model" may account for nothing in the absence of a strong local / domestic economy. When you think of Kerala, you think of the famous tagline "God's Own Country", which it is truly. Filled with natural landscapes which are beautiful and magical, a trip to Kerala wil

The Terminal Date

Chapter 1 - The Meet - Now " Thambi , don't you have change? Don't you even think it is unfair to give 2000 rupee note for a bottle of water?" "Sorry Anna . Have only Rs.15 otherwise." Elan was wondering what other options he has. Return the bottle? Go to the next shop? Go to the ATM at the CMBT's concourse to withdraw some cash? 'Have to rule it out. ATM will rule it out.' "Anna, Can I use Paytm to make the payment?" "For Rs.20?" "I will pay Rs.100. You can give me some change also." "I don't trust these things. And even I don't have any change to return. Either you pay Rs.20 or leave. Its 12 in the night and I have no mood to argue." Elan kept the bottle on top of the boxes with butter biscuits and was about to leave, when he heard "I can give you change." It sounded familiar. He turned to his right to find a familiar face. The girl who lived opposite to his house at Nerku